Fight the Flu
Who says you have to succumb to the flu every season?
Your immunity may have taken a beating from stress and overwork, and this will make you more susceptible to coming down with the flu. To boost your immunity, increase your dose of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to 2,000mg three times a day. If you feel you need it beyond five days, reduce the dose to 1,000mg three times a day.
It is advisable to adopt a diet of fruits and vegetables and supplement it with vitamins. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin. This means that your body will expel what it does not absorb or need either through urination or sweating without storing any excess.
You can also ask our Rose Pharmacy pharmacists about slow-release or time-released vitamin C tablets. These tablets provide your body with vitamin C slowly, allowing you to fully maximise your vitamin C intake.
Apart from vitamin C, you can reduce your risk of getting the flu by adopting these prevention strategies:
- Keep a strict distance from those who are sick, especially children
- Build your immune system with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Get regular exercise, ideally in fresh air
- Get at least eight hours of sleep each day
- Don’t get into the habit of touching your nose, eyes, and mouth as this is the best way to transfer germs
- Wash your hands frequently with plenty of soap and water
- Teach everyone in your house to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. To avoid airborne droplets from others, cover your nose and mouth, with your sleeve or a handkerchief when they cough or sneeze
- Consult our Guardian pharmacists about the efficacy of flu vaccines